Best Cycling Child Seats
Best Cycling Child Seats Review
Child Seats are a great way to introduce kids to cycling from a young age and getting them outside into the fresh air without them wanting to be picked up and carried every two minutes.
There are two types of bike seat, one that fits on the rear of the bike and one that is a shotgun seat at the front of the bike, fitted to the top tube, just behind the handlebars. You can also buy kids handlebars that connect to your own, giving the child greater sense of comfort and security.
Children can use bike seats from a very young age, basically as soon as they can sit upright, unaided. At this age, it’s best to fit a rear seat with additional side panels and of course harness or seat belt. Children can use these seats until they outgrow them, which is probably when you’ll move to a front bike frame mounted seat.
The downside of child seats is the extra weight, which will initially feel unnatural and may cause you to oversteer to compensate, which isn’t a good thing. Just like panniers and front handlebar bags, it’ll take getting used to.
An upright riding position, chunky tyres and easily accessible brake levers are a much better option than drop handlebars and skinny tyres.
Rear mounted child seats will either be rack-mounted or a cantilevered bike seat, which is fitted using a mounting clamp on your seat tube. The mount is securely fastened using two or four bolts, and thereafter enabling the child seat to be removed using a quick release mechanism. Positioning the mount is key to safety and comfort, for both you and your child. Fitting the seat too high on your seat-post may cause the front wheel to rise up, whereas too low may result in the bike seat resting on your rear wheel or rubbing on the tyre.
Whilst child seats can be fitted to most bikes, it’s probably best to avoid road bikes. The additional weight of having child and seat at the rear of a bike with skinny tyres doesn’t bode well for control. I’d also avoid carbon and lightweight aluminium as neither like having things clamped to them. Seat-posts and top tubes with external cables are conducive to optimum fitting either. Upright riding positions, chunky tyres and easily accessible brake levers are a much better option.
Top 10 Cycling Child Seats for Bikes
- Child seat approved by Technical Inspection Association/ Tested Safety and the European Community for the rear of the bike, with frame attachment and footrests with safety buckles, 3-point harness...
- Child seat does not fit every bicycle
- If a battery is installed as a side click, the battery and child seat are unfortunately in the same place, which then does not fit
- Ride along rear child seat
- Made of quality material that is lightweight and good-strength, the solid metal bracket keeps the seat even and steady.
- With a safety railing that is wrapped by comfortable widen cushion and a safety belt to ensure safety, providing maximum protection to the kid.
- Ergonomically designed with backrest and adjustable foot pedals that can be stretched by adjusting the installation place, comfortable for the child to sit on.
- Comes with the whole parts and installation tools, easy to assemble and install.
- 【MAKE BIKING EASY】 - When your child rides a bike, encourage a love for mountain biking and the outdoors. Designed for kids 2 to 5 years old and up to 48 pounds.
- 【SAFE FOR THE FRAME】 - The child bike seat has full rubber protection for your aluminum or carbon frame. Don't risk your expensive frame with low quality alternatives.
- 【EASY TO INSTALL】 - The quick release fastener makes the child bike seat very easy to assemble and remove.
- 【FITS ALL MOUNTAIN BICYCLES】 - The kids MTB seat is adjustable to fit flat or sloped top tubes. Please note that the bicycle seat is not suitable for e-bikes, racing bikes or older bikes with...
- EU Approved Seat. Tested to EN14334 and made in Europe. Not Chinese import with no safety testing
- First question when buying a seat for your baby does it meet EN14344. Why risk if not EU approved.
- Number 1 selling seat in the UK and US
- Recommended for ages from 1-4 years. Though can be used as soon as neck muscles are strong enough ie 6-9 months.
- Make your ride out a real family affair by using the Oxford top-tube mounted Little Explorer.
- Max tube width - 50mm
- Suitable for ages 3 to 6 years
- Weight limit - 22kgs
- Share Your Passion For Mountain Biking: With your child riding SHOTGUN, you'll foster a love of mountain biking and the outdoors. Designed for children 2–5 and up to 22 kgs / 48lbs.
- Fits All Mountain Bikes - The SHOTGUN Kids MTB seat is adjustable to fit flat or sloping top tubes. Note: Not suitable for e-bikes, road bikes or older bicycles with cables on the top tube.
- Easy To Install And Remove - Quick release attachment makes the SHOTGUN bike seat for kids super easy to fit and remove. Comes with easy to follow fitting instructions.
- Won't Damage Your Frame - The SHOTGUN Child Bike Seat has full rubber protection for your alloy or carbon frame. Don't risk your expensive frame with low quality alternatives.
- The headrest and harness can be adjusted to one of nine different positions with one hand to suit your child’s height. one movement is all it takes to adjust both the harness and headrest together
- Adjustable backrest-for those times when your child starts getting sleepy, with just one hand you can easily and quickly recline the adjustable backrest for a more comfortable sleeping position
- Protective spoke cover-the extra-large spoke covers provide complete protection, stopping your child’s feet and clothes from getting caught in the wheel while you’re travelling
- Adjustable footrest-as your child grows you can easily adjust the height of the footrest to ensure they are always safe and comfortable
- 🚲Make Cycling Easy: Riding bicycle with your child , you and your kid will foster a love of mountain biking and outdoors activities, also develop kindship with your child.
- 🚲Fits All Mountain Bikes:The Kids seat is adjustable to fit flat or sloping top tubes. Designed for children 2–5 and up to 48lbs.
- 🚲Easy to Install: Quick release attachment makes the bike seat for kids super easy to fit and remove.
- 🚲Safe for Frame: The child bike seat has full rubber protection for your alloy frame.
- The shotgun combo is the ultimate setup for your mountain bike kid. Not only will you get the shotgun seat and handlebar accessory, you'll also get our custom mudguard and one of a kind 'shred til...
- Share Your Passion For Mountain Biking: With your child riding SHOTGUN, you'll foster a love of mountain biking and the outdoors. Designed for children 2–5 and up to 22kg
- Fits All Mountain Bikes - The SHOTGUN Kids MTB seat is adjustable to fit flat or sloping top tubes. Note: Not suitable for e-bikes, road bikes or older bicycles with cables on the top tube
- Easy To Install And Remove - Quick release attachment makes the SHOTGUN bike seat for kids super easy to fit and remove. Comes with easy to follow fitting instructions