Best Dog Bike Carriers, Trailers & Baskets
Bicycle Dog Carriers : Baskets & Trailers
Cycling has been growing in popularity for many years, boosted by the London Olympics, British success in the Tour de France and even the lockdown restrictions in 2020. Being a pet lover needn’t be exclusive of being a cyclist and for those looking to share their bike fun with their dogs, bike carriers are the perfect solution. Dog carriers allows pet owners to take their small canine companions with them to enjoy the fresh air together.
Dog Bike Carriers are specifically designed to carry small dogs securely when cycling, either using a basket on the front or rear of the bike, or behind using a trailer. Dogs absolutely love the outdoors, either walking with their owners or by poking their heads out of car windows to catch the passing breeze. Carriers have the same effect, albeit at slightly slower speeds. They also allow you to safely transport your dog through built-up city centre locations and on to more pet friendly areas like parks, where your dog can roam free.
“It doesn’t just have to be Daisy that’s on a bicycle made for two!”
Older dogs, perhaps suffering from arthritis or a heart condition, benefit from getting some fresh air but may find walking difficult, thus bike dog carriers help them to maintain some aspects of a healthy lifestyle. Dogs recovering from an accident, injury or surgery can also benefit from dog carriers. Small dogs tend to favour basket carriers, whereas medium and larger dogs may find trailers a better option. The Editor’s Choice bike carrier award went to the Trixie Dog Bike Trailer, which comes in 3 size options (small, medium, large), which allows you to choose the trailer option specific for your canine friend.
We reviewed dozens of dog carriers for bikes to find the best ones available. We looked at a number of factors; quality of materials, pet safety, price, build quality and customer reviews before selecting the best dog baskets for bikes and the best trailers.
1. LIXADA Detachable Dog Bike Basket Review
At the time of our review, the LIXADA dog bike basket was the best selling carrier on Amazon, let alone basket. It had also been awarded Amazon Choice status, meaning that even Amazon think it’s good. This is a lightweight dog basket and suits small dogs, upto 5kg (11 lbs). You can compare this basket to the others in the review in the comparison table below. The LIXADA basket is easy to remove, either to carry your dog with you off the bike or to take indoors and wash. As it’s a lightweight carrier, you’ll not notice much of an impact on your steering, unless you exceed the recommended max weight.
- 【Lightweight & Durable】- This Bicycle Basket are all about convenience. Made of a aluminum alloy f
- 【Removable & Foldable 】- This multifunctional bicycle basket attaches via a quick-release handlebar
- 【Stylish & Practical Ractical 】-Our bicycle baskets are not just stylish, but also incredibly practi
- 【 Easy to Clean 】- Would you like the freedom to be able to leave your bike outside wit
2. REDLUTION Canvas Dog Bike Front Carrier Review
The REDLUTION dog carrier is similar to the LIXADA but at the time of review, is a cheaper option. Both baskets allow dogs upto 5 kg (11 lbs), are lightweight, foldable and feature a quick release removeable carrier. The carrier can be readily used as an off the bike carrying case, with or without your dog, and so can be used as a non-pet bike basket. The REDLUTION comes in plain black or a couple of funkier colour options.
- Woven canvas construction, super durable and time-proof. Dismounted basket can be re-used as a handbag with large capacity.
- Aluminum alloy frame is sturdy and unbreakable. Boasts of quick-release handlebar mounting system.
- Two plastic straps for unfurling the inner space of baskets.
- An adjustable closure system is wonderful for increasing the basket capacity.
3. PECUTE Multi-functional Dog Bike Carrier : Basket, Bag, Backpack, Shoulder Bag, Car Travel Carrier Review
The PECUTE bike dog carrier is a highly versatile pet carrier that can be used as a bike carrier, car seat travel bag, dog backpack or shoulder bag and probably a few other options if you so chose. The portable carrier enables you to take your favourite canine companion with you wherever you go, shopping, walking or hiking. Made from sturdy materials and built with secure high strength boards (back boards, side boards, base plate) to support your dog, upto the maximum recommended weight of 9 kg (20 lbs). There is also a safety belt inside the carrier to provide even greater safety so you can buckle it onto your dog’s collar.
- 🐾 【Multi-purpose】: Pecute pet portable carrier bag can be used as a bike carrier bag, car seat travel bag, backpack, shoulder bag, etc. Buying a bag is equivalent to getting 4 bags, suitable...
- 🐾 【Sturdy and Secure】: Supported by 4 high-strength compression boards(1 back plate+2 side plates+1 base plate), giving strong support to be capable of carrying small pets within 20 pounds....
- 🐾 【Comfortable and Breathable】: The interior of the bag have enough space for your puppy/kitten to turn around; The top of the bag is a mesh-designed skylight, allow pets stick their head out...
- 🐾【Other Smart Features】: i)-Portable & Foldable:4 board plates are removable, easy to store & carry, quick to assemble & pack up. ii)- Practical: Two handy mesh pocket on the side, you could...
4. BARKBAY Dog Carrier : Bicycle Basket, Bag, Backpack, Car Travel Carrier Review
The BARKBAY dog carrier won our Editor’s Choice award for its high quality, versatility and significant customer ratings, reviews and feedback. The other carriers in our review are cheaper but we felt that the BARKBAY design was better quality and more robust, giving us greater confidence that our dogs were more secure. Versatility was also a factor in this basket being crowned #1, with it being used not only as a dog carrier but also a basket, backpack, shoulder bag and car travel carrier. The base board of the BARKBAY is covered in soft fabric so little rover can be comfortable as well as safe. Mesh side panels ensure air circulation is easily achieved, helping to maintain a safe temperature level and pleasant enclosure for our favourite dogs.
- Easy To Install:Quick-release buckles allow it to easily disassemble and reassemble quickly for convenience sake.Padded soft, cream sheepskin liner bottom provides a comfy ride, and the floor board is...
- SAFE & SECURE PET CARRIER: Tether attaches to collar/harnessto prevent jumping out, and for extra security, a draw string mesh cover closures that gives you the option to cord your pet in and out...
- Multi Use: converts to Pet Car Seat booster Carrier,dog backpack,dog shoulder bag with included shoulder strap,All-in-one basket.Measures 11"L x 12"W x 14.5”H,deep and safely holds pets up to 18lbs...
- Mesh Venting:The physical basket features mesh material with rolled up front window that acts as a cooling air vent, making sure that your pup doesn’t get overheated
5. TRIXIE Bicycle Basket for Narrow Bike Racks Review
The TRIXIE bike basket is the only rear carrier in our review, each of the others being bike handlebar bags. It’s made from a sturdy metal frame and designed to safely transport dogs on the rear bicycle rack, in the same way you’d carry panniers, in fact, you’re using the same pannier rack. The TRIXIE bag can be quickly and easily detached from the bike rack, allowing you to keep your dog in the basket when moving through traffic, on/off the bike, into shops and all sorts of other activities. The bag offers excellent air circulation so as not to distress your dog (or any other type of pet for that matter). Safety is maintained by attaching a short lease to your dog’s collar, along with a cover as shown in the image.
- shape-retaining EVA
- sturdy metal frame for safely transporting a pet on the bicycle rack (width 8.5-12 cm)
- bag can be detached from frame due to hook and loop fasteners and can be used as transport bag
- net offers optimal protection, especially for active animals, and provides good air circulation
Compare Bike Dog Carriers : Baskets
Best Bike Dog Carriers : Trailers
PAWHUT dominate our list of best dog bike trailers as they constantly achieve excellent customer ratings, reviews and feedback, with each receiving at least 4 out of 5 star reviews.
The mesh design enables plenty of air circulation, keeping your dog safe and comfortable. The main housing dimensions are around 80 x 55 x 65 cm, allowing plenty of space for dogs of all sizes, including some large dogs. Dog bike carriers allow you to take your favourite pet with you, especially important for dogs with separation anxiety or for those dogs recovering from an accident, injury or illness. Dogs are protected from rain, sleet etc by plastic covers.
The PAWHUT dog bike trailers can be easily setup, with the trailer attaching to the rear wheel axle. The lightweight, trailer frame is sturdy and supports dogs up to 30kg in weight, so easily accommodating medium and some large dogs. An adjustable leash hook on the inside of the trailer can be used to safely secure your dog and a mesh covered front and rear door facilitates quick and easy loading. The trailer also comes with a safety flag for higher visibility in traffic. The straightforward design folds down for easy storage and transportation without the need for tools.
1. PAWHUT Bicycle Dog Carrier : Bike Trailer Review
- Overall Size: 130L x 73W x 90H cm, Main House Dimension: 78L x 55W x 65H cm. Assembly Required.
- Simple folding design, easy and quick to store, assemble or disassemble.
- Mesh zip access on front and back with clear plastic on front to protect against weather.
- Includes adjustable leash hook, reflector on wheels and raise safety flag
2. PAWHUT Folding Bicycle Dog Carrier : Bike Trailer Review
- ✅PET TRAVEL ASSISTANCE: Great for older dogs and small pets and those who need assistance.
- ✅SPACIOUS: Gives your pet plenty of room to sit and relax. STEEL FRAME: Supports up to 30kg in weight.
- ✅MESH WINDOWS: Keeps the trailer aerated in all temperatures. OXFORD FABRIC: Weather-resistant to protect against light rain to keep your pet dry.
- ✅EASY ACCESS: Front door with zip to get in/out hassle free. TWO 20” WHEELS: Smooth rolling and handles on/off road terrains. Releases easily for trailer to fold flat for storage.
3. PAWHUT Folding Dog Bike Trailer Review
- ✅PET BIKE CARRIER: Ideal for getting small dogs and pets who find it hard to walk out and about, easily attaches to your bike.
- ✅STEEL FRAME: Ensures a strong and reliable structure for reassurance when riding on the roads.
- ✅SPACIOUS COMPARTMENT: Made from Oxford fabric with a PU cover for light weather resistance, there is plenty of room for comfort. Mesh windows allows air to circulate whilst inside, with zip...
- ✅SAFE: Reflectors on the outside and a flag for visibility in the dark, a safety rope for security and two smooth-riding wheels that are suitable for on and off-road surfaces.
4. PAWHUT Folding Dog Bike Trailer Review
- ✅Overall Size: 130L x 73W x 90H cm, Main House Size: 78L x 55W x 65H cm. Assembly Required.
- ✅Simple folding design, easy and quick to store, assemble or disassemble.
- ✅Mesh zip access on front and back with clear plastic on front to protect against weather.
- ✅Includes adjustable leash hook, reflector on wheels and raise safety flag
5. TRIXIE Dog Bike Trailer Review
Compare Bike Dog Carriers : Pawhut Trailers
How to Choose a Dog Bike Carrier, Basket or Trailer
Choosing the right dog carrier for your bike is quite straightforward, if you follow a few basic steps. The size and weight of your dog is the primary consideration.
- Dog Baskets are most suited to small dogs, whereas Dog Trailers, carriers pulled behind the bike, are more suited to medium and large dogs. So terriers and some hounds are fine in dog baskets, which typically accommodate dogs up to 10 kg (20 lbs).
- Heavier dogs are not suitable as they are unlikely to fit in the basket but even if they do, their weight may make steering the bike difficult, at best challenging, at worst unsafe.
- Large dogs, above 10 kg (20 lbs) are more suited to bike trailers.
- Take into consideration the practical space for your pet. Dogs lying down take up more floor space than height, whereas dogs sitting up, peering out of the basket, will need their height factored in.
Things to Consider when buying a Dog Bike Carrier, Basket or Trailer
Material: There are basically 3 materials used to make carriers; wicker baskets, metal framed carriers and woven fabric canvas coverings, often waterproof. Wicker baskets are often seen as the most environmentally friendly and are favoured by people who see this as a key factor, it also has an appeal as a vintage look. Wicker is also strong, hard-wearing and of course biodegradable. However, it’s not quite as easy to clean as a woven canvas fabric.
Design & Weight: Metal frame baskets may seem to be the strongest but lightweight aluminium materials may actually not be as sturdy as some wicker baskets. However, hefty wicker baskets would be heavier and so it’s all about strength vs weight.
Safety: Frame design should also be considered in regard to protecting your pet. Strong sides and base are important, both in relation to general use but also in the unlikely occurrence of an accident. Tethers and safety harnesses are important to secure your dog when riding, bumps and deviations do occur.
Air Circulation: Another important consideration is air circulation, which is vital on warmer days to protect your dog. Heavy-duty canvas fabrics may not circulate fresh air, causing your pet to overheat. Porous fabrics, breathable materials or vented designs can all provide the necessary air movement need to cool the occupants of the carrier. Some carriers may not be made from breathable materials but don’t necessarily be put off by this as many come with open-top designs (baskets) and both front and rear doors (trailers), thus providing the required air circulation.
Practicality: Pets have toys and many accessories so it’s useful to have an array of pockets in which to keep their stuff. Some smaller carriers are multi-purpose, in that they can be also used to carry your dog over-the-shoulder, off-the-bike, and double-up as a car travel carrier.
Waterproof Design: It rains. So protecting our loved ones from lousy wet weather is of course important, so choosing waterproof materials could be important but these are unlikely to also feature breathable fabrics, unless you are prepared to invest in Gore-Tex fabrics.