Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer Review
Garmin Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer – Is It Worth the Money?
The Garmin Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer has been on the market since 2019 and people are still talking about it. Why? Where it lacks practicality, it soars with innovation and power, making it a popular choice for competitive or highly active cyclists, but not with those who prefer a laid-back approach.
This high-functioning trainer is well known for its powerful low-speed resistance, exceptional realism, and quick ability to make ERG power changes. It also has distinctive new technological features, like magnetically induced internal air displacement and dynamic inertia controls for better realism.
Any time you are looking for the best indoor bike trainer, to give you a variety of benefits such as extra resistance, insights, and a more involved riding experience, you’ll find there are lots on offer. But what makes the Tacx Neo 2T special, and more importantly, is it worth the price?
If you’re considering making the investment, take a look at this roundup of facts and speculations from some of the people that already have.
Buy Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer
Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer Specifications
Let’s review the specifications on the Tacx Neo 2T as they are quite impressive. Any all-rounder cyclist looking to broaden their horizons and utilise a smart trainer with extensive tools can just about have their cake and eat it with the Tacx Neo 2T. With a sophisticated design and instinctive features, disappointment is near impossible.
- Weight: 21.5kg
- Height: 166 cm
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart, ANT+
- Training App Compatibility: Zwift, TrainerRoad, Garmin Bike Computer
- Flywheel Weight: 275.6 Ibs or 125 kg (virtual)
- Maximum Power: 2200 watts
- Max Torque: 88 Nm
- Max Grade Stimulation: 21.5%
- Freehub Compatibility: 9, 10, 11 sp Shimano (Shimano Microspline, Campagnolo, XD-R and SRAM XD- freehubs can only get sold separately)
This powerful bike trainer packs a serious punch with its high watt resistance generated by electromagnetic technology. At full capacity, the resistance can reach what’s designed to feel like a 125 kg flywheel – now there’s a leg punisher if we ever saw one.
The use of magnets ensures that even the highest of speeds or resistance gets met with a surprising hush, its road-feel feature will ensure you won’t get distracted by the noise of drivetrain or rocky roads.
If you’ve been cycling for a while, you’ll know there are huge benefits to investing in any piece of Tacx technology. The high-functioning Tacx app is available on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices, making accessing its many workouts and taster routes an absolute breeze.
Tacx Neo 2T Setup
Setting up the Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer is not a complicated process. With legs that easily fold in and out, you can clunk them into place with barely any effort at all. To make things even easier, there’s a small light on the side that changes from red to blue when it’s properly secured. Cyclists who don’t like taking risks with bike stability will know how useful a little detail like that one can be.
When you buy this trainer, it arrives with a wheel block that can be used to raise the position of the trainer, fixing it into the best position.
Unfortunately, this Tacx doesn’t come with a cassette or freehand body, so you’ll need to buy one of each separately before starting to actually use this product. Not ideal, but understandable when you consider they’ve packed in almost all the other parts needed for setup.
However, the lack of disc brakes is a disappointing oversight. Bearing in mind the current popularity of disc brakes and this piece of work’s steep price point, not providing disc brakes with this version of Tacx does leave one feeling dissatisfied.
Aesthetics & Design
The Tacx Neo 2T looks very similar to its predecessors, the Neo 1 and 2, which have all been praised for their sleek, sophisticated and yet simple design. At once refined and straightforward, this is a category where the Smart Trainer really shows off.
With a triangulated footprint and surprisingly wide base, the trainer holds its own even during a sprint. Gentle support angles and rubbery feet make for a stable, supportive ride, and prevent unnecessary shuffling around when tackling uneven ground.
On the topic of design, the Tacx Neo 2T gets bonus points for the lights that change colour depending on how much exertion you are putting in, creating a deeper link between you and the bike as you ride.
Tacx Neo 2T Pricing And Availability
It’s no secret that this sexy piece of metal costs a pretty penny. In fact, the prettiest penny of all. Currently, there is no smart trainer more expensive than the Tacx Neo 2T.
Priced at a hefty £1,200 at the time of writing, the Tacx Neo has typically been reserved for wealthy or competitive cyclists that lean on sponsorships to fund their lifestyle. Its cost is indicative of its value, but not everyone needs an indoor trainer quite this smart to be happy.
However, now that the initial hype is dying down, the price is starting to drop somewhat, making it more accessible to everyday urban commuters who just want to try something new.
You can find this product both online and in-store from various companies, and not all of them are charging the standard rate of £1,200. If this is a product you really want but can handle being a little patient, we’d recommend waiting another year or two for the price to drop even further.
Overall Ride Experience
The Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainer excels in the category of performance, realism, and overall ride experience. There’s a reason this trainer is such a hot commodity. The technology that’s gone into its functionality, endurance, and charisma is second to none.
Able to mimic the toughest uphill climbs, max power capacity, and best claimed accuracy if you’re looking to get blown away by a smart trainer. The answer to the big question is yes. It is absolutely worth the money.
The ride feel and realism is joyous and highly flexible, making cycling everywhere from rustic cobblestone streets to smooth tarmac a delight. However, we could do without the swaying, and a more compactable fold would seal the deal on this mechanical beauty.
Best Prices for Garmin Tacx Neo 2T Smart Trainers on Amazon
- Tacx Neo 2 Smart
- CONTROLLED RESISTANCE - When connected to your smartphone, tablet, computer, or GPS bike computer, KICKR CORE indoor smart bike trainer automatically controls resistance according to the software or...
- FOR ALL THE WAYS YOU RIDE – Experience the most realistic ride feel and responsive resistance whether doing structured workouts, riding virtual worlds like Wahoo RGT and Zwift, or re-riding routes...
- OPTIMIZED FLYWHEEL TECHNOLOGY - CORE’s 12 LB flywheel provides riders with the precise inertia needed to recreate an outdoor ride feel while riding indoors.
- FLEXIBLE, EASY SETUP – 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed options give you the flexibility of adding your preferred cassette to the trainer, so that you can fully mimic your outdoor groupset. Does not include...
- Powerful smart direct drive Trainer with full cycling app compatibility
- Next-to-silent direct drive lets you ride without disturbing others
- Works with popular third-party training apps such as Zwift and Tacx
- Train with realistically simulated inclines up to a 16% gradient and a maximum Sprint resistance of 2, 000 Watts
- Max resistance: 1500W
- Max incline: 10%
- Power accuracy: <3%
- Flywheel: 7.6kg
- Measure your power within 3% accuracy
- Next-to-silent direct drive Trainer lets you ride without disturbing others
- Works with popular third-party training apps such as Zwift and TacX
- Train with realistically simulated inclines up to a 10% gradient and a max Sprint resistance of 1, 500 Watts
- Maximum output power: 2500 watts
- Maximum simulation: 20%
- Minimum tilt simulation: -15%
- Experience a trainer ride that’s more natural and helps you train more effectively than ever, thanks to multidirectional movement that mimics a real outdoor ride
- Cost-effective plates attach magnetically and securely to the underside of a NEO, NEO 2 or NEO 2T smart trainer
- Ride with confidence on motion plates that provide a secure, balanced feeling
- Maintain the compact footprint and virtually silent performance of your NEO series trainer